History

In 1971, Lubbock Meals on Wheels was incorporated, and 29 people received meals on the first day of service. Since that time, the organization has undergone many changes that have improved the service to Lubbock’s homebound community. Lubbock Meals on Wheels is a private non-profit agency that does not receive any government funds and is not a United Way funded agency. The organization relies solely on contributions from fundraisers, individuals, civic clubs, churches, businesses, schools, foundations, and grants.

In 1991, a building was purchased to house the office facilities. In 1995, services were extended to include Idalou. In 1997, a kitchen and volunteer center were added, and a contract with the Adult Day Activity Center was initiated. Then in 1998, a greenhouse project was funded; the Wolfforth Meals on Wheels’ contract was started, and the final phase of the building renovation was completed. In the past several years, many additional programs and services have been added. So far this year, several new contracts have begun. We now provide meals for Abernathy Meals on Wheels, Buffalo Springs Community Church Meals on Wheels, and the La Paloma P.A.C.E. program. Currently, over 550 meals are prepared and delivered daily (over 146,000 meals in 2009) by a volunteer force of over 1200 people. Volunteers from local businesses are also involved with the agency.

A Corporate Volunteer Program, established in 2000, includes over 30 businesses such as City Bank, Lubbock National Bank, United Supermarkets, and Calvert Home Health Care. Recipients can now receive weekend meals, frozen meals for holidays, and emergency meals when severe weather prohibits regular meal delivery. Other special benefits include: fresh flowers on Fridays, reading materials, birthday cakes, plants, various treats during the holidays, senior food boxes, and a Pet Food Program.